St. Joseph Catholic School opened its doors in 1949. The Precious Blood Sisters were our first teachers, ministering 23 years. In 1971, the Sisters of the Congregation of the Humility of Mary began their ministry to students which continued for the next 18 years. Today we are extremely proud of our highly dedicated, spiritual, and talented teaching staff.
Our educational program includes Kindergarten through Eighth, in addition to an exceptional preschool program for three and four year olds. We also offer an alternative to Kindergarten within the preschool program; Developmental Kindergarten. This program is designed for those students who may miss the September 15th cut off date for Kindergarten enrollment, or for those families who simply elect to wait another year.
Our school offers numerous educational opportunities, some which are unique to St. Joseph`s.
- New school-wide security system with buzzed only camera monitored entry
- All classrooms host state of the art "SMART Boards"
- Science Lab
- Library Center
- All students K-8 participate in our foreign language program (Spanish) twice a week
- Also offered are Technology, Physical Education, Vocal Music and Art
- All students attend and participate in a weekly school mass
- Well-balanced hot lunch program, prepared in our own kitchen
- Students participate in numerous special education activities such as the National Geography Bee, National History Day, the Stock Market Game and Science Bowls
- Recently developed Zoology Team for Middle School students
- Roundtrip busing for Ankeny, Altoona and surrounding Des Moines Area
- Affordable Before and After School Program
- A complete sports program affiliated with the other area parochial schools, including softball, volleyball, basketball, track and football.
Our mission, as well as that of the Diocese of Des Moines Schools, is to provide a meaningful educational experience for our children and adolescents, in an environment integrated with Gospel values which nurture faith, community, prayer and service. We believe that we provide a warm and caring environment for students and that they are challenged to learn the essential curriculum regardless of learning rate or style. We teach the value of human dignity and the concepts of peace and justice, which therefore enable our students to become involved participants in our global society.